At Cottage Fields Ltd, we’re committed to respecting and protecting your privacy.
WHO WE ARE
Cottage Fields an Estate Agents dealing with sales, lettings, and property management. Cottage Fields is a data controller under data protection legislation and all contact details are shown at the end of this notice.
Cottage Fields registered number is 08105443 and registered office is 135 Lancaster Road, EN2 0JN
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT FROM YOU
“Personal information” is any information that relates to you and identifies you personally, either alone or in combination with other information available to us.
The information we require from you, the tenant(s), freeholder(s), leaseholder(s), or guarantor(s) includes:
- Full name (and proof of your identity / photo ID).
- Date of birth.
- National Insurance number (your unique identifier).
- Contact details (phone, e-mail or correspondence address).
- Details of anyone authorised to act on your behalf if applicable.
- Basic details (name and DOB) of all household residents.
- Banking details if you pay your rent by Direct Debit.
- Card details if you pay by card (however card details are not stored).
- Proof of housing eligibility, any interest or equity in other property.
- Proof of any benefit you may receive.
- Proof of employment income in the form of payslips, bank statements, or tax return.
- Proof of any savings for the purpose of processing a house sale or purchase.
- Other personal information that will vary on a case by case basis to help us resolve breach of tenancy, alleged anti-social behaviour or fraud.
If you do not provide the information we need then we may not be able to provide all our services to you, and ultimately you may not be able to hold a tenancy or lease with us, or sell or purchase a property through us.
HOW WE COLLECT YOUR INFORMATION
Information may be provided by you by:-
- Registering a password-protected account (hereafter “Account”) on our Website and performing functions using your Account e.g. saving properties, specifying property criteria,
- Filling in forms on our Websites, third party websites and Portals which send information to us,
in person via our office,
- Via telephone calls, emails, live web chat, and social media.
We may also receive information about you from third parties including:
- Your council or benefits office relating to your housing.
- Prior landlords and credit agencies when you apply for housing.
- Police, welfare or support organisations dealing with you.
- Councillors, MPs or other representatives acting on your behalf/instruction.
- Financial institutions when you apply for our services
Information will be used to enable us to tailor our marketing and communications to you, based on your personal preferences, such as the types of service you are looking for, the location of your search area, the budget you are willing to spend etc. (hereafter “Criteria”).
Our landline phone calls are recorded for training and monitoring purposes and our recordings are usually held for a period of six months.
We operate a CCTV system at Cottage Fields office premises for the detection and prevention of crime. It operates continuously and recordings are held for one month. From time to time we may operate CCTV / sound recording and / or use photography to capture evidence of breach of tenancy, alleged anti-social behaviour or crime. We may also take photographs at our events, at our properties and in our communities to use for general marketing and publicity. However, photographs of individuals will only be used for those purposes with your consent.
If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence and ask for information if you report an issue with our services, or with a property you are renting.
We may also ask you to complete surveys, either on our own Website or through a third party provider, which we use for research purposes; although you do not have to respond to them.
When you visit or otherwise access our Website, details including but not limited to:-
- Information about the device and browser (hereafter “Device”) you are using to access the Website e.g. type, version, operating system, etc.,
- Traffic data including the URL of the website that referred you to our website if applicable
- Location data including geolocation (this can be explicitly controlled in your Device),
- Weblogs and other communication data,
- The resources that you access including social media interaction.
- IP (Internet Protocol) address,
- The date and time of the visit and how long you remained on our Website,
- The pages visited on our Website and interactions performed,
You consent to any information concerning you which we collect and process being used, stored and processed in accordance with this Policy.
DOWNLOADS AND MEDIA
Any downloadable documents, files, images, video files etc. on our Website are provided to you at your own risk. We take all reasonable precautions to ensure that such files are free of viruses but we recommend that you use anti-virus software as a precaution. We accept no responsibility for downloads and media provided by external third party websites.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
In regards to lettings specifically, the information we require from you is used to manage your tenancy or leasehold agreement or other contract between you and Cottage Fields. Please read your contract carefully for specific details as ‘performance of a contract’ is usually the legal basis for processing your information and carrying out our activities.
The processing activities we conduct can be summarised as:
- Managing your account charges and payments, including arrears.
- Managing the repairs, maintenance and adaptations of our properties.
- Ensuring tenancy (or contract) conditions are complied with, such as dealing with anti-social behaviour or fraud.
- Complying with relevant legislation and regulation including Right to Rent checks required under Section 22 of the Immigration Act 2014 if you are renting a property and The Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing and Transfer of Funds (Information on the Payer) Regulations 2017 (more commonly referred to as the Money Laundering Regulations 2017) if you are buying a property through us.
- Passing the names of new tenants to utility companies
- Disclosing details of a tenant who has left leaving rent arrears to a tracing agent or debt collector to help them recover money owed
- Passing on forwarding addresses of former tenants to utility companies
- Providing tenant's contact details to repairers in work needs to be carried out
- Notifying other joint tenants of any rent arrears owed by another tenant
- Informing the guarantor where the tenant has failed to pay rent
- Providing information to other agencies/solicitors as necessary for the purchase of a property.
We may also use and analyse this personal information where necessary for the following purposes detailed below:
- Information required to help us ensure our staff are safe when attending external appointments such as viewings and market appraisals; for example contact details for the client or customer, including a residential address in the UK.
- Improving our products and services: we will use your personal information to build a profile on you in order to understand your requirements, to improve our Website, as well as to personalise the properties and services we offer you. We process your personal information in this way as it is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests in providing better products and services for you and our other customers.
- Processing your transaction: we use relevant personal information described above (including your name, address and financial details) to enable us to complete a transaction with you, such as buying, selling, renting or letting a property through us. This information may be required to be passed on to third parties, including solicitors, surveyors, financial advisors etc.
- Preventing fraud: we will also use your personal information to assess your creditworthiness (in the case of buying or renting a property) and to prevent fraud. For this purpose, we may need to share your personal information with our referencing providers and/or solicitors (see “how we share your personal information” below). This is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests in ensuring we are not the victim of fraud and to protect our legal rights.
- To provide customer support: if you contact our team (or vice versa), we will use personal information such as your email address, phone number and residential address as well as your contact history to process your request and provide you with the best service possible. We will process your personal information in this way if it is necessary for the performance of a contract or if it is required for us to comply with any legal obligations. If it is not necessary to process your personal data for either of these reasons we will process it as it is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests in ensuring we can provide the best service possible.
- Marketing: when you sign up to receive our newsletters (if appropriate), register as an applicant, enter in to a transaction with us, provide feedback on our service online or use our Website; we will use your personal information to create a profile based on the information we hold about you. This is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests in ensuring we have accurate information about you in one place. We create your profile in accordance with your preferences in order to provide you with the best personalised experience, to send you personalised marketing messages and newsletters and for opinion research purposes. Below you can find a more detailed description of the ways in which we will use your personal information for these purposes.
- Website user experience: if you are logged in to your Account on our Website we may alter the way the website works to improve and/or enhance the information displayed to you, or to optimise the way you interact with the Website. We may show personalised content based upon your previous interactions with the website.
HOW WILL WE COMMUNICATE WITH YOU
The way you interact with us across all the different channels described above (e.g. our Website, social media and marketing messages we send you) and the information we collect in that regard from each of these channels provides us valuable information about your current circumstances and preferences. This insight gives us the opportunity to offer you the best customer service experience possible. To learn about you and your interests, we may analyse your interactions with us using various kinds of information, as set out above. If you have given us your consent to send you marketing communications or if we are permitted by law to send such communications without obtaining your consent, we use the information that you have provided to us when interacting with us for sending you personalised marketing messages about our products or services, events and promotions. In some instances, we will also aggregate your personal information with that of other individuals, to create comprehensive reports about how clients and customers use our products and services. This is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests in analysing our brand and determining how to improve our services.
We will send direct marketing communications to you via the channel you choose, such as post, email, phone, or social media. We ask for your consent, where required by applicable law, in order to use the contact details you have provided to us to send our personalised marketing communications.
The messages we will send you will be personalised and tailored to your individual preferences and requirements. We use analytics in order to generate such personalised messages. These analytics will process your personal information and place you in marketing segments, which determine the content of the messages and the offers you will receive from us. These direct marketing messages may contain information about our products and services, events or promotions and other company news. We personalise these messages on the basis of that it is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests in ensuring that we provide the most appropriate information. We may, in certain circumstances, also use the channels for opinion research (such as to ask if you would like to participate in a survey) and to learn about your experience and improve your experience with Cottage Fields, including by sending you personalised messages.
HOW WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We treat your personal information with care and confidentiality and do not share it with third parties other than as set out below.
- With Service Providers - Where required we may share limited personal information you provide when you register with us or enter in to a transaction with us, as necessary and only for the purposes and on the lawful grounds described above with various third parties who process your personal information on our behalf (Data Processors), such as;
- Lettings - Including but not limited to tenant referencing agencies, other estate agents or landlords, contractors and property maintenance services, gas and electrical contractors, utility companies and insurance providers, and local councils for the purposes related to any housing benefit/universal credit you may claim.
- Sales - Including but not limited to Solicitors/Conveyancers, Surveyors, Financial/Mortgage advisors, other estate agents in a chain, contractors and property maintenance services.
- Software and system providers including but not limited to Jupix, Movewithus.
- Website Hosts and analytics platform providers including but limited to Google Analytics, Google AdWords Remarketing & the Google Display Network.
- We require that these service providers and other third parties adhere to strict rules when processing your personal information, including to only use your personal information in accordance with our specific instructions (such as for the purposes of completing referencing or contacting you to arrange access to carry out necessary repairs) and the applicable laws.
- With Legal and Law Enforcement - Cottage Fields will disclose personal information where required by law or legal process, for the administration of justice, to protect your vital interest, for investigations by law enforcement or regulatory bodies, to protect and defend Cottage Fields property and legal rights, to protect the personal safety of our website users or by order of a valid injunction from a court or law enforcement agency.
- In Relation to Business Interests - In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If Cottage Fields is or all of its assets are acquired by a third party, personal data held by us about our customers will be one of the transferred assets.
PERSONAL INFORMATION OF OTHERS